Accepted Material at RHB (Commercial/ Municipal Users)
Items accepted at the Robin Hood Bay Waste Management Facility:
Materials Recovery Facility (MRF)
- Recycling: Commingled residential and commingled ICI material must be bagged in transparent blue bags with containers bagged separately from fibres.
- Cardboard: Clean corrugated cardboard and paper (office, shredded, newspaper) is not landfilled at Robin Hood Bay and is taken by some recycling companies in the city including at the Robin Hood Bay MRF.
Materials for the RHB Landfill
- Garbage: Waste going to the landfill must arrive covered and secured. Household garbage, bulk garbage (furniture, etc.), construction and demolition material, Industrial/Commercial/Institutional material, etc.
- Special Waste: Asbestos and other special waste is accepted at Robin Hood Bay but arrangements must be made prior to arrival for the proper and safe disposal of these materials. For more information on Special Waste click here.
Materials for AIM Metal Recycling
- Metals: Metals recycling has been offered at Robin Hood Bay since 1995 and keeping metals out of the landfill has been more strictly enforced since 2006. Haulers with bulk metals can recycle it at the AIM Recycling St. John’s site at the Robin Hood Bay Waste Management Facility.
Other materials accepted for future use
- Yard Waste: There is no charge for commercial/ municipal users for yard waste in paper yard waste bags brought to the Robin Hood Bay Waste Management Facility.
- Concrete/Brick: Concrete/brick is re-used as cover material for the landfill. To be accepted for use at Robin Hood Bay, the concrete must be crushed to 6” or 18” minus, with any rebar removed.
- Asphalt/Rock: Asphalt and rocks are also re-used as cover material for the landfill. To be accepted for use at Robin Hood Bay pieces of asphalt and rocks must measure no more than 18” diameter.
- OTR Tires: OTR tires include tires with rim diameters greater than 24.5”, construction tires, tractor tires, forklift tires and other industrial and/or off-road tires. OTR tires must be off the rims. Loads of OTR tires are subject to a processing fee.
For a list of fees click here
Items not accepted at the Robin Hood Bay Waste Management Facility are:
- Liquids: Liquids are banned from disposal at Robin Hood Bay.
- Hazardous waste: Many of these products are harmful to our health and environment and require special methods for collection, transport, and disposal.
- Tires: Tires from cars, light trucks, motorcycles, campers, trailers, transport, bus, semi-trailer, and dump trucks are not disposable at Robin Hood Bay from commercial users. For more information on the Used Tire Recycling Program contact the Multi Material Stewardship Board.
- Electronics: Items accepted by EPRA NL should not go in the landfill. Certain electronic items can be brought to designated drop-off locations free of charge. Go to www.recyclemyelectronics.ca/nl/ to find a location near you.
- Batteries: Return to battery drop-off at vendors or contact a certified hazardous waste hauler.
- Acids and Caustics: Arrange commercial disposal; Residual in “empty” containers can cause fires.
- Unused Fireworks: Return this item to vendor for proper disposal.
- Ammunition/ Powder Activated Fasteners/Fireworks: Arrange commercial disposal.
- Marine Flares: For safe disposal of flares please contact one of the following:
Toll Free: 1-800-563-9595
- Spartan Industrial Marine
- Tel: 709-722-4221
- Canadian Power Boat Squadron